Saturday, August 16, 2008

ST Debauchery!

A bit of background: for the past couple of days, the SC4 Community has been a slightly negative place for me personally. I won't go into details, and I won't answer questions about it--we'll just go with what we've got.

Tonight, though, my morale spiked right back up. Earlier today (or rather, yesterday), I posted the update that introduced this blog, my MySpace Radio Station profile, and my first SC4 video. Yeah. I was happy with this update: it felt like something so totally fresh and new from the other updates I had been doing. There were plenty of links to follow, which lead to more links to follow...it was a nice change of pace.

After posting that update, I somehow found myself into ST's chat room. There were an average number of people in there, but I got lucky: I happen to catch it on a night when everyone was slightly hyper and up to feeling silly; there was a lot more activity for that number of people then their usually is, and I found myself drawn into discussion quite a bit more than usual, as well. Topics ranged from 4Chan to the Olympics to Favorite [Insert Noun Here]; there were smiley wars, fake bootings and out-of-body experiences. I specifically remember a few things:

- Rushman and I trying to help someone find something for his city, and finding out he had never heard of SC4D before we told him of it.
- Glenni posting pictures of CityLife (and me wishing for Cities XL to hurry along)
- Haljackey's stunning revelation that Canada had won not a single medal in the Olympics so far
- Lots of talk on Michael Phelps (steroids, animality, and robot accusations were some of the suspected reasons for his sucess)
- Lots of discussion on cartoons and cartoon channels. Disney, Nick and CN were all thought to be going down the drain, and nostalgia set in as we all remembered our favorite cartoons growing up (Doug, Recess, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Powerpuff Girls, and CatDog, among a truckload of others). I also remember that Yoshiisland and I have a similar taste in cartoons.
- 4Chan and pedobear
- Interchange's locked, deleted and reposted "Confessions Thread"
- Ilikehotdogsalot eating ice cream and Haljackey drinking beer
- Both me and Hal spamming the heck out of the chat
- The aforementioned Favorite [Insert Noun Here]; there were quite a few of these: Ice Cream flavor, 90's song, band, video game, movie, sad movie, action movie, Will Smith movie, CG Animated movie, not-scary movie, cartoon, etc. We'd all try and quiet the chat room, call out a "Favorite" subject, and either count down or just randomly yell GO! I remember deion counted to 5 and went 1, 2, 3, 4...6...and everyone posted. I wish I would've saved that one...
- The pacing; it was a really fast paced chat; didn't have any downtime or slow time whatsoever.
- And me trying to spam 'til I dropped so I could get booted out, only to find out that codythemonkey was dropped from the chatroom himself.

This might not seem so interesting if you weren't one of those who dropped in between 8:00 p.m. and 12:00 a.m. Central Time, but if you were there, you're probably laughing out loud right now. The significance of this night of SC4 community fellowship is that it helped bring me out of my stupor. As I look back on it now...it was a really fun night! For a couple hours, I didn't have to be admin or moderator or anything like that--I could just kick back and have fun without judgement. I think sometimes we forget to do that, and so we sometimes forget how good it feels to do it.

*Sigh*...usually I'll try to refrain from posting something this ridiculous in this blog (I try to keep the professional feel to it). This night, however...I really wanted to write something up to help remember it. So if you are confused, please forgive me; if you were there, thank you so much!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya that was a fun night. I am glad it lifted your mood regarding the SC4 community!

You should come to chat more often! It makes it more fun when you are there!

Best,
-Haljackey

Anonymous said...

Heh, Mas- I popped my head into the ST chatroom for my second twice-a-year visit the other day. Folks in there were friendly and there was an interesting conversation going- if you are into SC4 at all, you could do a lot worse than ST chat.


David (dedgren)